Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can we protect the Hijet from overheating?

5 posters

Go down

How can we protect the Hijet from overheating?  Empty How can we protect the Hijet from overheating?

Post by Lex_Michdebus Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:01 pm

I bought a 1995 Hijet recently with only 23.000 km on the dial. The more I read about these vans, the more it becomes clear that there's a very high chance I'll get in trouble in the future with the vans cooling system. Almost every van I see coming by on the local second hand website has a story of replaced gasket or something other overheating related trouble.

Today I saw a pic of a Hijet with the front panel that was replaced with something more open (pictures down below). Will that help? Are there other tricks to be more safe? Replacing the radiator for something bigger perhaps?

Edit: Picture, another picture.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

How can we protect the Hijet from overheating?  Empty Re: How can we protect the Hijet from overheating?

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:20 pm

The best way to stop them from over heating is by either not driving them, or scrapping them Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How can we protect the Hijet from overheating?  Empty Re: How can we protect the Hijet from overheating?

Post by Logi Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:28 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:The best way to stop them from over heating is by either not driving them, or scrapping them Wink

Laughing
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarfing Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Jokes aside you could always fit a water pressure gauge. This will give you early signs that your water needs attention. It also helps to do as dad always did on a Sunday morning? Check the bloody levels.....You can leave out resetting points and adjusting the carb needle Laughing

Swarfing
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:21 am

My thermostat has an extra hole drilled in it, van takes longer to heat up but won't airlock.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:05 pm

They are much less likely to have a stuck thermostat overheat by keeping the interior heater on hot because it keeps the water feed to the underside of the thermostat open, thus ensuring the thermostat is never kept in stagnant cool water. If you want to kill the heat to the cab, move the vents select knob over to the left.

I will never move my interior heaters over to the blue section. It is a bad idea, and until the coolant system comes upto full operating temperature, it risks the thermostat staying closed. It is a design flaw in how the system is plumbed as there is no cold select bypass plumbed in.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:29 am

HighlyJetted wrote:The best way to stop them from over heating is by either not driving them, or scrapping them Wink

Ain't that the truth!! Exclamation

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down