Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member saying hi.. plus a big problem.

5 posters

Go down

New member saying hi.. plus a big problem. Empty New member saying hi.. plus a big problem.

Post by robinm Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:01 am

Thank goodness you're here!

Just bought my first Hijet, a 1995 'M' reg 993 carb. It's a fantastic little van and it always makes me smile to drive (my other cars
are a Golf GT sport 170 and an MX-5 so this is high praise indeed..)

I've got the Hijet for the new business I'm currently starting, it was £400 and flew through it's MOT yesterday (well, it stayed on
the ground, you know what I mean).
It's all good but the poor girl is 15 years old and needs some TLC, was working fine but now I have this intermittent fuel cut-off
problem. She just runs out of fuel (when it happens if you remove the drain bolt for the carb float chamber there's bugger all in there)..

Has to be relay/pump/lines/filter/fuel shut off solenoid.. I've done all the obvious stuff now I have to drop the tank and chase all the
wiring, clean out tank, fit new filter etc. etc. The van was cheap but parts are hard to get and really stupidly priced! £200 quid for
a F%*%in fuel pump? I don't think so..
I'll buy new bits if it needs them but I'm not going on an expensive swap-everything-out blind tour! If it is the fuel pump I'll buy a
£30 universal external one and rig it myself.. what about the fuel shut-off valve though?

Any previous experience you may have would be gratefully received.. I understand this is quite a common thing.

Thanks,

Robin.

robinm

Back to top Go down

New member saying hi.. plus a big problem. Empty Re: New member saying hi.. plus a big problem.

Post by Admin Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:47 pm

hello Rob, "£30 universal external one and rig it myself" >> i was going to suggest that too.
if you can get a generic pump, can you also get a generic shut off valve?
also is it worth striping and cleaning the carbs? could be a stuck float or the like?... He'll now say its a EFI..! ?
id say its not as common a problem as your case is the 1st i have heard of..

last question.. how long did the van sit before you bought it...? old fuel is known to gunk up motorcycle carbs.. i assume it can do the same to car ones too.
did you get the manuals? they wont shed much light, but i use them as a guide.

PS welcome to the site.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://hijet.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

New member saying hi.. plus a big problem. Empty Re: New member saying hi.. plus a big problem.

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:08 am

Sounds like your covering all the bases Robin, a man with a plan.

Doing a strip and clean of the carb would be might first little job and if it continued I would setup a couple of cheap £4.99 multimeters connected to the items mentioned above. See if its actually an electrical fault or the actual pump/solenoids are at fault. You should be able to do away with a cut off solenoid especially for fault finding purposes, and some sort of cheap ass pressure gauge may help you diagnose the pump.

A problem is nothing more than the pregnant mother of the solution.

Go squeeze the little twirp out!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jetex Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:55 pm

The first thing to do, is to remove the fuel pipe from the carburettor. Switch on the ignition, and if necessary crank the engine over. Have you got fuel delivery to the carb ? If not, then it's the pump/wiring/fuses/relays etc., and you'll have to work through those. If you can put a direct feed and earth to the pump, this will prove whether it's the pump itself, or associated wiring. If you have fuel delivery to the carb, then it would appear that the flow rate is not keeping up with the engine's demand. You may have to take the top part of the carb off to get at the float needle valve. Sometimes there's a small filter beind the needle valve that get's blocked. Take this out, and leave it out. If you suspect the cut off solenoid, remove it from the carb and block the hole in the carb with a bolt with a similar thread, or another old cut off solenoid with the plunger removed. Alternatively, you can remove your solenoid and wire it to a battery, and watch the movement of the solenoid as you make and break one of the wires. Be careful to ensure that you do this in an area with good ventilation, away from the vehicle, and make sure that there's no petrol on the solenoid. Hope this all helps, let us know how you get on.

jetex
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Fao Jetex: As its an intermitant fuel cut off problem, chances are when you take the pipe off to test it the thing will work! And those small pre filter things stop the jets from getting blocked and thus make it run lean so ending up with bigger problems.

I'm sure every man and his dog can fix your van with a keyboard, good luck and let the force be with you. I gain great patience from having faith that you can never be out-smarted by a tin box on wheels.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New member saying hi.. plus a big problem. Empty cake1. mate if needin any parts 4 bhijets my mate at billferd(wolverhamtom ways} got any thing needed closin down sale mate DAFT prices get in touch P,N,, 07872335909 . tell him mark of stoke told ya

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:47 pm

robinm wrote:Thank goodness you're here!

Just bought my first Hijet, a 1995 'M' reg 993 carb. It's a fantastic little van and it always makes me smile to drive (my other cars
are a Golf GT sport 170 and an MX-5 so this is high praise indeed..)

I've got the Hijet for the new business I'm currently starting, it was £400 and flew through it's MOT yesterday (well, it stayed on
the ground, you know what I mean).
It's all good but the poor girl is 15 years old and needs some TLC, was working fine but now I have this intermittent fuel cut-off
problem. She just runs out of fuel (when it happens if you remove the drain bolt for the carb float chamber there's bugger all in there)..

Has to be relay/pump/lines/filter/fuel shut off solenoid.. I've done all the obvious stuff now I have to drop the tank and chase all the
wiring, clean out tank, fit new filter etc. etc. The van was cheap but parts are hard to get and really stupidly priced! £200 quid for
a F%*%in fuel pump? I don't think so..
I'll buy new bits if it needs them but I'm not going on an expensive swap-everything-out blind tour! If it is the fuel pump I'll buy a
£30 universal external one and rig it myself.. what about the fuel shut-off valve though?

Any previous experience you may have would be gratefully received.. I understand this is quite a common thing.

Thanks,

Robin.

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 am

hows this going? sorted yet?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down