Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.3 pressure when cold?

2 posters

Go down

1.3 pressure when cold? Empty 1.3 pressure when cold?

Post by gavin_hayward Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:48 pm

hi

just been to look at a 1.3 hijet, the man has done the head gasket, and driven it for a few weeks, one evening fully loaded it got hot, dont know how hot but he says the gaskets gone again, anyway ive bought the van,
when i opened the cap under the seat while poking around it was under pressure spat air and COLD water out, it hadnt been started for a day and a half.
now im thinking air lock as if gasket was gone pressure would leak back into combustion side.
what does others think, as no problem if head gone ill do the head and FIX why the gasket failed in the first place!!!

(also does anyone no if the 1.3 is noticeable beter on fuel than the 993)

cheers gav

gavin_hayward

Back to top Go down

1.3 pressure when cold? Empty Re: 1.3 pressure when cold?

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:27 pm

gavin_hayward wrote:FIX why the gasket failed in the first place!!!

cheers 

The most common mistake in the garage game!!! Fixing symptoms not the cause.

Drop the coolant out of it.
Pressure test it with air - done with a tyre valve on the t-piece under the drivers seat.
Sort the rad caps out, clean up the cap receivers.
Replace most of the hose clips
Remove thermostat
Flush it all out
Replace with new thermostat
Re-pressure test it.

Refill it with 50/50 coolant mix using the pressure fill method to ensure proper bleeding of the heater matrix, idle control valve, radiator and engine.

Warm it up, cool it down, monitor the coolant status.

Prey the head gasket doesn't need doing properly.

At the end of the day, if the guy that "fixed" it last time was any good, it wouldn't be back here again.

Good luck, you can fix it.

Any Hijet that isn't a total dog, and or rotten, is well and truly work fixing overheating wise.

It's pretty damn easy to do. Just most go about it the wrong way.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gavin_hayward Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 pm

thanks HJ.

ive got a 1ltr hijet too done the head on that due to it been cracked, got it off the same bloke that i collected this 1.3 off, he always sells them when the bodge dont work.
i posted this topic before i had collected the van and hadnt started it, just going on what he said over the phone. untill tonight back in the workshop cap off, lots of bubbles sniffer test not that i needed any more clues, just ordering gaskets lol,
only problem now is to get rid of the stop leak crud that people insist on put 5 bottles of it in n stops everything from working.

thanks

gavin_hayward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down