Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING.

2 posters

Go down

OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING. Empty OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING.

Post by dripa Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Hello,

I bought her just two months back and was delighted the radiator fan cut in OK when stuck in traffic especially after reading some of the posts here.
However two days ago while stuck in a jam the fan didn't cut in and the temp gauge got very close to the max before we got moving again.

So my symptoms are:-
1.. Temp gauge stays around normal all the while I'm moving. Only little  increase on a long hill  then cools back to normal, as expected with a good working thermostat.
2.. With hot engine after a long run it takes a good 5 minutes to slowly creep up to max.. The cab heater then is unable to cool her down..
3.. There is water in the expansion tank and when cold I removed the filler cap and the pipe is full of clean coolant.
So... I think the water flow is OK as it's fine when moving, no air locks or blocks...
I'm sure my fault is electrical.... I could put 12v on the fan motor to see if that runs and/or short the thermo sensor... I guess we are now getting to my actual question.... pause for breath....
I can see what I think is the sensor under the passengers seat in the underside of a metal pipe.. It has just two leads.... I assume the temperature gauge sensor would have three looking at the wiring diagram....
I don't want to short the wrong thing.....

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers Paul.

ps.. it's a 2004 1300 Hijet EFI pickup (with a Romahome on the back)

dripa
Clubman

Back to top Go down

OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING. Empty Re: OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING.

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 pm

The test is this:-

Next time it is overheating - e.g. above 2/3 of the way up the gauge - get out of the van and feel the pipes at the bottom of the radiator, and flip the grill down and see if the radiator is cold.

If the pipes/radiator are not "bloody fricking" hot, then something is wrong. I'd go with thermostat first as it cheap and a common cause of stopping coolant flow (thus the cold radiator)

That sensor in the metal pipe is the fan turn on switch - so if the water going past it isn't upto 95 degrees then the fan will not kick in. Simple as that. Even if the fan did kick in, if the water in the radiator isn't hot then whats it going to do?!!!

The temp sensor is in the back face of the cylinder head - but I would say yours is working as the gauge sounds pretty realistic.

When you lift the metal coolant cap off the top pipe, is it 100% and I mean right up to the neck with water? If you have an air gap, then that means there is something wrong with it.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING. Empty Thanks

Post by dripa Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks HighlyJetted for your reply...

Sounds like a useful set of tests.... I'll have a play Saturday morning and post my findings here...

Cheers Paul

dripa
Clubman

Back to top Go down

OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING. Empty Lucky

Post by dripa Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:06 pm

How lucky am I...

It was just one of the wires going to the temp sensor corroded  and broken off.. I quick solder job and I'm back on the road..
Both bottom rad pipes and the rad itself nice and hot. The fan cuts in in out as it did before..
Thanks for your advice Highly Jetted..

Paul

dripa
Clubman

Back to top Go down

OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING. Empty Re: OVERHEATING.... WELL NOT IF I KEEP MOVING.

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Well that sounds promising, see how it goes.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by dripa Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:23 pm

It all looks OK... Did a 90 mile run yesterday and the fan cut in when stopped for more than a few minutes, ran for 15 seconds then off for a minutes or so...
I think that is a good fix.

I have a couple of other questions but I guess it's best to start new threads...

Thanks again Highly Jetted for you advice..

Thats at least one beer I owe you...

Cheers Paul

dripa
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Nahh, keep asking, what else do you have snags with?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by dripa Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Ah....
I've already started another with topic "low tick over and die when cold".....

Cheers..

dripa
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down